On October 24th Charlie and I posted our Christmas cards for October on Operation Skriv Hjem’s blog
– but I haven’t gotten around to posting my card here on my personal blog. Now must be the time to do so. The card is build up very simply with a tag taking centre stage.
I used PTI’s Tag Sale 5 to cut out a Christmas tree and before continuing with my project, I trimmed off the stem of the tree. Once that was done I stamped over the diecut using a darker green colour with a Christmas text stamp. The last detail I added was a small glittery heart.
I added a piece of seam binding and some golden thread to the tag and it actually matched the red of the patterned paper better irl than what can be seen here.
This card was made for Online Card Classes’ Stretch Your Dies class earlier this year. I diecut multiple “birthdays” using Papertrey Ink’s Wonderful Words: Birthday Die
in the same white as my card base. I then adhered all of the birthdays directly onto the card base.
Because the background got to be somewhat busy I decided to keep the decorations to a minmum: A diecut banner with an embossed sentiment and a few sequins in a matching colour and that was it. KIIS!
Back in January, I got an order for a card for a baptism. This card had to feature a picture of the little girl getting baptized and her grandmother wanted the card to be A5 which is app. double the size I normally use for cards. Actually, it wasn’t too hard making a card this size since it is much like making a letter size layout. I went with a dreamy, girly theme using a large embossing folder to add clouds (and dimension) to the white part of the background.
I was able to diecut a decorative border on the patterned paper using a Papertrey Ink die. Then I added the girl’s name in thickers and a couple of hearts under the picture.
I had tied seam binding all the way around the card and I knew the bow was the perfect place to add a little tag with the date of the baptism.
Sarah introduced me to the Black Magic technique (stamp in white on dark cardstock and add colour using coloured pencils) and I was an instant fan. It is a lot of fun to do Black Magic cards and it is a very different look than when you stamp and colour on a light cardstock.
For my first Black Magic card I used one of my all time favourite Papetrey Ink stamp sets, Stitches and Swirls. I stamped the flowers using Hero Arts’ Unicorn white pigment ink and let the image dry really well before colouring the leaves and flowers using my PrismaColor pencils. For this card I coloured directly onto the black cardstock which is doable because PrismaColor pencils are wax-based.
For my second card I started by stamping and heat embossing the sentiment before I stamped the images using Clearly Besotted’s Dandelion Dreams. When stamping the stems of the dandelions I masked off parts of the flowers as well as the sentiments whereby I achieved some sense of depth in the stamping.
Here I coloured directly onto the stamped part of the card which gives a slightly different Black Magic effect than what I did on the first card. It only goes to show that Black Magic is a technique with many possibilities. I strongly encourage you to give the technique a whirl.