On October 24th Charlie and I posted our Christmas cards for October on Operation Skriv Hjem’s blog
– but I haven’t gotten around to posting my card here on my personal blog. Now must be the time to do so. The card is build up very simply with a tag taking centre stage.
I used PTI’s Tag Sale 5 to cut out a Christmas tree and before continuing with my project, I trimmed off the stem of the tree. Once that was done I stamped over the diecut using a darker green colour with a Christmas text stamp. The last detail I added was a small glittery heart.
I added a piece of seam binding and some golden thread to the tag and it actually matched the red of the patterned paper better irl than what can be seen here.
Sarah introduced me to the Black Magic technique (stamp in white on dark cardstock and add colour using coloured pencils) and I was an instant fan. It is a lot of fun to do Black Magic cards and it is a very different look than when you stamp and colour on a light cardstock.
For my first Black Magic card I used one of my all time favourite Papetrey Ink stamp sets, Stitches and Swirls. I stamped the flowers using Hero Arts’ Unicorn white pigment ink and let the image dry really well before colouring the leaves and flowers using my PrismaColor pencils. For this card I coloured directly onto the black cardstock which is doable because PrismaColor pencils are wax-based.
For my second card I started by stamping and heat embossing the sentiment before I stamped the images using Clearly Besotted’s Dandelion Dreams. When stamping the stems of the dandelions I masked off parts of the flowers as well as the sentiments whereby I achieved some sense of depth in the stamping.
Here I coloured directly onto the stamped part of the card which gives a slightly different Black Magic effect than what I did on the first card. It only goes to show that Black Magic is a technique with many possibilities. I strongly encourage you to give the technique a whirl.
I’ve placed and received my very first (but absolutely not last) order from Simon Says Stamp
and I am one happy stamper now. I combined brand new things with more senior stamps (the flowers are Hero Arts stamps that are 10+ years old). I used my new Distress Markers to colour directly onto the rubber stamps and I am impressed with how easy it was and how well the markers work. It is a thrill to get new things and realise that they are as great as you had hoped!
The sentiment is a combination of two different SSS sets and I just love that Sketched Banner; I love that it has a more casual look than a regular banner does.
It can be hard to tell on pictures but I added a light coating of Wink of Stella to the petals of the flowers and I am pretty sure that Wink of Stella is addictive. It is such a pretty effect that is easy to apply and not messy at all. So much easier than regular glitter.
And just a quick glace at the card from a different angle.